Becoming an SAP Consultant is definitely your ticket to a great career. If you have the required technical and interpersonal skills you are sure to go places.
System Application and Products (SAP) is a multinational software company based in Germany. It was founded in 1972 by 5 ex-employees of IBM. Since its inception SAP has come a long way in changing the way business is done globally. SAP surpassed many other companies during the ensuing time and has kept on diversifying. SAP's Portfolio is vast with over 296,000 global clients and approximately 75, 600 employees.
Various SAP Modules:
SAP has a wide range of products however SAP has recently shifted its central focus to cloud-based solutions. It has many functional and technical Modules. The following are some of the most common SAP Modules:
- SAP FI Module: This SAP module primarily discusses Finance and finance related topics. An SAP FI consultant is responsible for the implementation of Financial Accounting system in the organization
- SAP CO: SAP controlling module is quite closely related to SAP FI. Though both are separate they go hand in hand. SAP CO takes into consideration issues like Activity Based Costing, Product Cost Controlling, Profitability Analysis, etc.
- SAP HR Module: SAP Human Resource module contains various sub-modules like Administration, Recruitment, Time Management, Payroll, Compensation Management, Personnel Cost Planning, Budget Management, Personnel Development, Training & Event Management, etc.
- SAP MM Module: SAP Material Management module basically handles issues related to procurement of raw material and vendor management.
- SAP PM Module: SAP Plant Maintenance Modules manages issues related to maintenance of equipment, production planning, and scheduling. The idea is to handle all the activities carried out inside the plant in the most cost-efficient way.
- SAP QM Module: SAP Quality Management module is one module of absolute importance. It supervises everything related to product quality like Quality Planning, Execution, Inspections, Quality Control, and Quality Certificates.
- SAP SD Module: SAP Sales and Distribution is one of the largest functional modules. Issues like Sales Order processing, Pricing, Picking, Packaging, Shipping, Billing, etc. all come under this.
- SAP BI (BW/BO): SAP Business Intelligence Module is a part of SAP NetWeaver which handles issues related to extraction, transformation and loading of data. All data from warehousing to generating intelligence reports all come under this.
- SAP ABAP: SAP Advanced Business Application Programming is a technical module by SAP. It basically helps in building the mainframe business applications for other aspects of business like finance, material procurements, etc.
Various SAP Career Paths to Choose From:
- SAP Business Consultants: They are the executives who understand the business better than the software. They are the faces of the organization that handle 90% of the customer interactions. These interactions includes representing their organization, pitching ideas, winning projects, requirement gathering from customers, final project implementation, and providing support during the life cycle of the product/project.
- SAP Functional Consultants: These are the SAP consultants who do the actual customization of the software as per the unique requirements of the organization. SAP FICO, SAP PP, SAP MM, SAP QM, etc all are important SAP functional modules.
- SAP Technical Consultant: Another description for SAP Technical Consultant would be developer consultant. These Consultants do the required ABAP, JAVA coding, and programming required for the development of the required system
- SAP Basis Consultants: The responsibility of SAP Basis consultants include SAP software installation, upgrading, application of support packages, patches, and fixes. The consultant is responsible for the installation of add-on software components, SAP profile parameter changes, workload analysis, system error analysis, and establishing standard Basis background jobs, plus system health checks as well as monitoring
Prerequisites of becoming an SAP Consultant
- College graduation is a minimum requirement, however, a post graduate degree will improve your chance of getting first job.
- A degree in computer science or exposure to data/programming related jobs is valuable for technical modules.
- SAP Certification of the respective module is necessary and extremely important.
- Functional modules require you to have domain knowledge. Like an MBA finance can easily opt for an SAP FICO Module or else MBA operations can easily opt for SAP PP or else SAP MM module. SAP SD is the most celebrated module amongst sales & marketing professionals. Though there are no hard and fast rules about who can opt for which module; it is suggested that prior work experience or subject knowledge of related domain will give you an extra edge.
- Industry knowledge and business knowledge is another qualifications that help you in readily landing your dream job. For example, experience in a certain sector like telecom, banking, FMCG, etc can help you land a business consultant position.
- Being a team player, excellent verbal and written communication skills, pleasant manners, and a winning attitude are all valuable personal attributes.
Future of SAP | Scope for an SAP Consultant
SAP is the pioneer in ERP software. Innovation and Growth are synonyms to SAP. Being one of the most pro-active companies SAP has been successful in identifying the needs of the consumer for more than five decades. Currently, 9 out of every 10 Fortune 500 companies are using SAP software. Ninety percent of the top companies are customers of SAP.
IT is a volatile business enterprise. Technologies are changing every day. However, SAP is here to stay with only Oracle as a major competitor in the world of ERP software.
Becoming an SAP Consultant is definitely your ticket to a great career. If you have the required technical and interpersonal skills you are sure to go places. SAP regularly launches new products ensuring a continuous demand for SAP Certified Consultants.
A full-time SAP Consultant position pays handsomely. The average salary of an SAP consultant is approximately $100,000 per year.
My take on SAP:
SAP will give you the job satisfaction you deserve, recognition and appreciation you desire, and the salary you demand. However, this field is cutting edge and super competitive. Stay updated, keep your knowledge base growing; above all do some awesome networking within and outside the industry if you wish to stay ahead of the crowd.